Only new content that has been published on HowNow after you have integrated with Zapier will be transferred through to your Shopify store. To get connected, follow the steps in this guide.
You'll later be able to bulk upload any of your existing content (any content you've created before you integrated with Zapier), using a CSV template via Shopify's own bulk upload feature.
Part One - Create your content
Create your content on HowNow > Save it as a draft. This ensures the course will not be created on Shopify once the integration is active.
Once you've completed both of the Zaps below, your HowNow content will be displayed under the My Shopify page, under the Products section.
Ensure the Cost Per Learner section on your content remains as "0".
Part Two - Set up your Zaps
After you've set up your Zapier integration by following the steps in the article linked above, select your Triggers and Actions to create the first Zap.
You'll need to create two new Zaps to ensure your content is visible and purchasable!
This Zap will publish content to your Shopify storefront once it's published on HowNow.
1. Search for the HowNow app in the search bar of the Trigger section > Select the HowNow (1.0.0) option.
This will take you to the Choose app & event step, from where you can continue with the setup.
2. Choose app & event step > Select the Event field > the only option given, will be Get First Time Published Content > Select Continue.
This means content published for the first time, will become available for purchase.
3. In the Choose account step > Select your email address > click Continue.
This will be the same one that you've used to log into your organisation's learning space.
4. Test trigger enables you to test your zap. This will show dummy data, which signifies the testing has been completed, and the zap is functioning as it should.
Click Continue and a green tick will appear on the Trigger title bar, confirming this section as complete.
Now you'll need to start to fill out the Actions section.
5. Search for and select the Shopify app.
5. Select Event > choose "Find Product by Title" > then select Continue.
6. Choose account step will prompt you to sign in to your Shopify account > log into your Shopify account via the pop-up that appears.
7. For Set up action > select Name for the Product Title field.
This is the title for the content you've created on HowNow.
Select the checkbox: "Create Shopify Product if it doesn't exist yet?" This will expand to reveal the following fields:
Product Type: Select the content type you've created (Nugget, SCORM, etc.)
Vendor: The HowNow username of the author of the content.
Product Description: Selecting both the Description and the Short Description will display either description on the Shopify store-front, only if the content type already features both descriptions (e.g, a Live Class has both).
Price: Set the price customers will pay.
Image URL: Select the given option.
SKU: You can select this unique ID, from the drop-down menu.
Is Published?: Always select the "False" option.
The remaining fields can be ignored:
More Image URLs.
Publish to the Point of Sale.
9. Select Test & Review, or you can Skip the test > you'll be asked if you want to turn on the Zap > confirm to switch it on.
11. Go back to the Zapier homepage > select Zaps from the sidebar, to see your zap activated.
12. Return to HowNow and publish your chosen content
Note ✨: When assigning your content to users in HowNow, don't use the "AND" connectors, use only the "OR".
13. Log into your Shopify account > select All Products > your content, published on HowNow, will appear in this section of Shopify.
Note ✨ : At this point within Shopify, search for the content on the store-front. If it doesn't appear, this means it's not set live on Shopify yet.
14. To get it on the store-front, select your store of choice > click Manage, in the Product Status box.
15. In the Shipping section, de-select the button, "This is a physical product", before setting it live.
Note ✨ : If the name of the content is updated on Shopify, this won't be replicated for the title on HowNow.
Zap One Video Guide
This zap will add a buyer as a new User (they don't already exist) on your HowNow learning space, as soon as they've made a purchase of content, via your Shopify store.
1. On the Zapier homepage, select Create Zap > search for and select the Shopify app.
2. The Trigger section will appear automatically > choose New Paid Order, from the drop-down menu. Then click Continue.
3. Choose account as Shopify > then Set up trigger for the following fields (these can be left as the default options, if you like):
Payment Status: Paid
Order Status: Any
Fulfilment Status: Any
4. Select Test trigger > this will show dummy data of what is collated from HowNow > select Continue.
5. For the Action section, choose the HowNow app (which represents your organisation's learning space).
Select one of the following three options under the Event field, then select Continue.
Add User to Groups - Users who purchase content via Shopify, will be added to specific Groups, when you include the Group ID in this Zap.
Add User to HowNow - Users who purchase content via Shopify, will be added to your organisation's HowNow learning space.
Assign Content to User - Users who purchase content via Shopify, will be added to HowNow and have access to the content.
In this example, we will continue with Assign User to HowNow. Check out our articles on How to use Zapier to sell your content on Shopify and How to Add Users to Groups when using Zapier and Shopify.
6. Choose account given in the drop-down list > click Continue.
7. Set up action will enable you to add your purchaser as a User to HowNow, with the following criterion used, for each field:
Name - this needs to be the Customer Default Address Name option.
Email - the email address that will be used for the User when joining HowNow.
User Role - select from the standard: Read Only, Contributor, Manager, Admin.
Job Role - you can submit a Job Role, but this is optional.
Groups - this is also optional.
8. You can Test & Continue, or simply skip the test. Click Publish Zap to set it live.
Zap Two video guide
Part Three - The User's Experience
Once your purchaser has bought your Shopify product, they'll receive the standard Welcome email, inviting them to sign up to your learning space.
They'll click the Sign In Via Email button, and complete the onboarding process as normal, to be given full access to organisation's learning space.
You may also be interested in: